Establishment Care and Training
Establishment care is considered the first 7 years after a tree is planted, during which a tree requires supplemental watering, maintenance, and training to grow an ample root and branching structure and canopy size. Before the trees are installed it is important to have a plan in place to determine the responsibility for the ongoing care of the trees and the mechanism of how the trees will be watered. Once a tree is planted, any lapse in watering and maintenance can potentially lead to tree failure in a short period of time, especially during extreme summer heat days and heat waves. It also includes making sure irrigation is properly adjusted through wet winter months so trees are not over watered. In many ways, the success of a Green Neighborhood depends on the execution of the establishment care plan.
A successful establishment care plan will identify and define the responsibilities of who will be responsible for the trees after they are planted. That party must be willing to make a 7-year commitment to caring for the trees and correcting any health threats that may arise. This requires a level of experience and availability that is often best suited for a municipality or contractor who can be held accountable for the ongoing maintenance, as opposed to a homeowner or local organization. A successfully implemented plan will promote the vigorous growth of tree canopy, accelerating benefits to the neighborhood.
Goals for Establishment Care
- Trees are healthy and thriving after planting.
- 95% of trees establish successfully in first 7 years.
Core Elements of Establishment Care
- Establishment care plan that will ensure newly planted trees receive proper watering, mulching and care for the first 7 years after planting.
- Create a maintenance plan that will ensure all newly planted trees receive the appropriate maintenance and pruning needed for the first 7 years.
- Dedicated funding that will maintain a 95% stocking rate of trees for the first 5 years.
- A responsible party is identified and committed to maintain the trees for the first 7 years after they are planted.
Elements for Gold
- A professional tree service contractor, with ISA Certified Arborists on staff is hired to maintain trees for first 7 years.
- Dedicated funding that will maintain a 100% stocking rate of trees for the first 7 years.